Antique Safes/sentry safe

Question
I have an old sentry safe, purchased at a flee market as a project safe, my goal is to open it without destroying it.I tried
many combinations from the combination the seller said he got with the safe at an estate sale,that hasn't worked so well. I then drilled two holes in the back,so i could see inside.I drilled a third hole in the cover on the inside of the door, i missed the top but got a good hole down about four o clock area.
I then lined up the notches and moved them to the twelve o clock position with the combination. my question is,when i move the dial it moves the wheel closest to the rear, that wheel has a deep notch that the fence can drop into, but it is not the drive cam that will pull the fence over to move the lock mechanism,or push the fence back out when relocking.what am i missing?

Answer
John,

Rule number one of servicing or working on safes - identify, identify, identify.

While you have identified the safe manufacturer, you have INCORRECTLY identified what you suppose is the lock.   There is no lever or fence assembly in this lock.   By misidentifying the lock in your mind, you have wandered down the wrong path to try to open the lock.

As you don't quite know what you have you need to start over (no you don't need to drill any more holes, you have more than enough now).

Basic scientific observation dictates that you determination how an item works through observation.    You have all of the tools at your finger tips, you simply need to use them and make observations AND conclusions.

Because of security and liability reasons, we do not give out ANY information concerning opening safes, other than proper dialing sequences, I cannot discuss the lock and/or its operation for you.   However this doesn't mean that YOU can't figure it out by using the dial, the handle and what you have already observed through the holes that you have already drilled.

While it would be easy for me to simply explain what is going on, I think that you will appreciate what you learn by observation and conclusions, and when you finally get it, it will either be one of those wildly cheering, congratulatory moments, or one of those "DUH" moments!

Good luck, you have all the info that you need, now, you simply need to put it all together.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)