Antique Safes/Antique Globe-Wernicke Safe Value Estimate

Question
Safe Open Front Left
Safe Open Front Left  

Safe Closed Front Left
Safe Closed Front Left  
I have an old safe with the following attributes:

1. Manufacturer:  Globe-Wernicke Co., Cincinnati, OH
2. Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Inspection No. 5331
  a. Class B Fire
  b. Class T-20 Burglary
3. Exterior Dimensions
  a. 24 wide
  b. 42 height
     i. Plus 6 wheel height so top of safe is 48 from floor
  c. 26 depth
4. Interior Dimensions
  a. 17 wide
  b. 35 height
  c. 19 depth
5. 2 shelves, 1 drawer

I have attached a photograph.  This is an office/floor safe, not a "cabinet safe".

2 questions:
What year was this safe made/how old is the safe?
What is an approximate sale value?

Answer
Thomas,

The Globe Wernicke Company ONLY manufactured safes from 1911 until 1917, and there safes WERE considered "CABINET SAFES".    In fact a ruling in January 1914 by an Ohio Court, and subsequently in April 1917 by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals both found Globe-Wernicke guild of copying safes made by "The Safe Cabinet Company", AND for attempting to mislead the public and customers into believing that these were in fact the same products.     Globe-Wernicke had purchased several "Safe Cabinets" and taken them to their factory to dissect (reverse engineer) the containers, in order manufacture an article as near like as possible those cabinets made by "The Safe Cabinet Company".    These instructions came from Otto Wernicke.

As far as the information on the safe by UL, this was simply the standards at the time issued by UL.    An interesting side note, The Safe Cabinet Company was the first safe company to receive UL fire resistive testing and labeling in 1914.

As far as value, these containers have little value for the following reasons:
1.  Fire Resistance:     $0     Does not meet ANY current standards for fire resistance.
2.  Burglary resistance: $0     This is NOT a burglary resistive safe.   The "T-20" label is for "TAMPER Resistance" ONLY.
3.  Resale value:        $0     It has no commercial or retail value, and should not be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.   As this manufacturer was known to use Asbestos as an insulation media, it is also considered a HAZMAT item.    You may want to check with your state HAZMAT agencies to determine what your restrictions are concerning transportation, selling of, or disposal of this container.    fines can be extremely expensive, so I wouldn't recommend trying to circumvent any requirements.
4.  Antique/collectible  $0     Based on the information that you have provided, this container is not an antique (over 100 years old) and it is not considered collectible.

While it has no value under any of the above categories, this doesn't mean that it has no value.   Asbestos is considered a very good heat resistive material.   Because it does not meet ANY current standards, I would not recommend storage of anything but general purpose documents, or easy to replace documents.    Selling it would be limited depending on the restrictions (HAZMAT) and potential buyers.    Again, I would not fail to disclose the asbestos facts, as this could return to bite you at a later date.

Sorry the news isn't better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)