Antique Safes/Antique safe ID & opening

Safe ID
Safe ID  
I have an antique safe that has been badly damaged with no Mfg info on it. Would like any info you can furnish including how to get into it. There are valuables in it. Thanks

Mr. Holder,

First off you do not have an antique safe.   An antique would be considered OVER 100 years old, your safe is probably from the 1950's through 1970's.   It appears that you have possibly tried to break into the safe(s).   The top compartment is the burglary resistive chest, and the lower compartment is the fire resistive container.

As far as "furnishing you" with information on how to "get into it" - sorry but we do not do that.   For obvious security and liability reasons, and for the simple fact that we have no idea who you are and/or what your relationship to the safe is, we do not give out ANY information about opening a safe, other than the proper dialing sequence for the lock which we would expect to find on the chest.   In this case as you have already broken off both of the dials, having the dialing sequence won't do any good.

because of the amount of damage done, you WILL need to have a safe tech from a local safe company, open the safe for you.   While cost may vary depending on where you are and what companies are available, you could easily be looking at $500 to $800 just to have the two compartments opened (no repairs) at this point.

As far as a potential "manufacturer", most of the identifying items have been broken off of the safe and are not visible in the photo.    This probably would have been a good question before all the damage occurred.

we have no way of knowing whether or not this safe is stolen or not and/or involved in any burglary attempt, but from the photo that you have provided, that would be my first thought.   While you may be the legitimate owner I would be prepared to prove ownership of the safe to any safe tech who comes to open your safe.

I recommend that you contact a local safe company to have their safe technician open the safe.   if you don't have any local safe companies, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time, but hopefully this gives you an idea of what direction that you need to be headed.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada