Antique Safes/What is the manufacturer of this old safe ?

Mark wrote at 2014-12-28 13:38:23
Hi, I too collect safe plaques and knowing G.O.Talbot made a baffle named safe would suggezt it is one of theirs. I can see where the others are coming from with the withers type lion but because there is an identical star as Talbots on the escutcheon of your safe I would positively identify it as one of theirs. Valuation is a pretty difficult subject as if there is someone prepared to pay for it's rarity it could be considerably more than the scrap value. At one point you had to virtually have to pay to have them removed but over the past few years they have became quite valuable as there has been so many scrapped because of insurance companies refusing to insure them because of their unreliability.  Nice job and keep it for the kids and sometime in the future it could be a really good investment. Regards Mark

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others