Antique Safes/Herring Hall Marvin 1908 S & G Magnetic Lock

Question
Have two possible combinations - how to proceed with trying these combinations.  If they do not work what are the drill points to drill open the safe?
Thanks

Answer
Hi Brandon,

First I have several questions for you:

1.   Where did you come up with the 1908 date???
2.   Where did you come up with the "Magnetic lock"???    Sargent & Greenleaf used a bar magnet in some locks between 1857 until around the late 1870's or early 1880's, however these locks were never used on a Herring-Hall-Marvin safe.    HHM didn't even merge until 1892, and at this time none of these three companies had been using S&G locks as standard locks.
3.   As you didn't provide the combinations that you have (as written), I can't try to decode or provide you with a proper dialing sequence for your lock.

First we need to ID what you actually have, and I'll need to see what your combinations consist of, in order to offer advice.

As far as providing any drill points or opening instructions, other than proper dialing sequences, for obvious security and liability reason we do not do this.   Regardless of if you are a licensed locksmith or safe technician, an open forum website like this is NOT the place to either ask for or receive this type of information.
We have no idea who you are, or what your relationship or authority to work on the safe is.
If you are a licensed locksmith or safe technician, there are avenues that you have available to you through local and/or national locksmith and safe associations.

So back to the basics, first I'll need more information and answers to the questions above, so that I can try to assist you.   I WILL need to accurately ID the safe and the lock  so that I can try to help.   If necessary you can send photos of the safe, with close ups of the handle, and dial.   I'll see what I can come up with for you.

Send the photos directly to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)