Antique Safes/Mosler Safe

Question
We just recently acquired this safe.  It says Mosler Safe and Lock Company on it.  It also says Frankel & Gra???? (can't make out the rest of the name cause there is a sticker on it saying WM.H Clarkson Safe & Lock) St. Louis, MO.  There is a number on the handle and it is 94697.  This safe has not been opened for many years and we don't know the combination to it so I can't say what it looks like inside.  I know you may not be able to give me much information on it but what you could give us would be appreciated.

Answer
Kellie,

You will have to be more specific with questions concerning the safe so that I can try to provide information.

If you are looking for the individual history of your safe - sorry but there are no resources for this type of info.   If you didn't acquire it from previous owners, then it simply no longer exists.    I can provide a basic history of the manufacturer if you need this info.

Based on the serial number, your safe would have been built between 1893-1895, so it would be an antique and/or collectible.

The "WM. H. Clarkson Safe & Lock, St Louis, MO" was simply a reseller or distributor.   Possibly the "Frankel & Gra????" was an owner at some point, possibly the original owner.

If you are looking for a value, while the safe is locked up, it basically has a negative value - that being the cost to have it opened and repaired so that it is operational.

NOTE:  You need a safe technician from a local safe company, and NOT a locksmith to open the safe.

Value is determined by total condition, which means that until it is open, I have no idea what condition the interior is in.   Once it is open, I would be more than happy to look at it for you.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)