Antique Safes/Safe info

Question
2013-11-17_14-11-42
2013-11-17_14-11-42  
Hello Mike

I am a retired yacht surveyor and recently moved into a large house in Southern Spain. I am intrigued by a safe 33''H x 24''W x 16''D made by Jose Viladot that stands in the living room. I cannot open it for I do not have the 4 letter combination and that makes it even more intriguing!
Any information you may have would be very interesting indeed. A google search of the name was ineffective.
Sincerely yours
Sid Fisher

Answer
Hello Sid,

Many thanks for the picture of your very handsome safe.  I am familiar with most Spanish safe makers but have not come across Jose Viladot before.  I suspect that this was not the manufacturer but an import agent or distributor.  The safe looks more French than Spanish and the elaborate scroll work tends to suggest that it was made in the late 1800's (safes were introduced in the mid 1800's).  My guess is that PC was the initials of the original owner.  I could possibly tell you more if you were able to open the door.  

When I had an office in Bristol some years ago, we acquired a French safe with a 4 dial lock and even though our technical director was very accomplished at manipulating regular combination locks, he was forced to give up and drill it open - not because these locks were superior, but simply because he had no experience of them.

I suggest you make some enquiries in Barcelona to see if you can locate a skilled safe engineer to manipulate or drill it open.  Once the combination lock is released, the keylock should function.  I would be interested to see the back of the door.  My guess is that it will have flat bolts locking on three sides.

A safe of this age is useless as a security device, but they make very interesting wine cupboards.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer