Antique Safes/Safes

Question
I have been left two old safes which are locked and have no keys.W.E.BRIAN & CO BIRMINGHAM BRENTSTEEL FIRE AND BURGLAR RESISTING IMPROVED INVIOLACLE LOCK AND J.CARTWRIGHT & SON EST. 1844 WEST BROMWICH ENGLAND INVIOLABLE LOCK.Please could you tell me if they are worth anything and would it be worth getting them opened and new locks fitted. Sorry about the spelling as some of the letter are not clear,oh the size of the Cartwright safe is 15"wide x 21 1/2" high x 14" deep.The W.E.Brain safe I think that's what it says is 18"wide x 28" high x 17 1/2"deep.Thank you very much Bill.

Answer
Hi William,
I can't tell what is inside but long experience says that there is a very large chance that there will be nothing.
They are neither collectable nor insurable and unless you can take them to the tip you will have to pay someone to do that because they have no scrap value.
Taking the nameplates off might make you 10. If you have the physique and space you could rip the bodies apart to check the contents (or not) before going to the dump but this is very dirty to do. Sorry
Tom

Antique Safes

Tom Gordon