Antique Safes/The Cabinet Safe-Special Model

Question
I just acquired the safe from a friend. I was reading one of your answers on the safe about that it may contain aspestice. If one does, is it safe to have in my home ? Or, should I take it back ?
Is the aspestice sealed in, or can it get out ?  Thanks in advance ! I am also getting a test kit and see what that turns up.

Answer
Roger,

Asbestos is ONLY dangerous if it becomes airborne AND you inhale it.

the material was originally sealed in the walls of the safe and door, however without knowing the condition of the container, I can't tell you if it is safe or not.

In general, most states have strict regulations regarding the transfer, sales or disposal of HAZMAT type items including Asbestos.   You can decide whether or not to keep the container, however if you elect not to, then your "friend" still has obligations for the HAZMAT material regardless of if he knew of it or not.

Check your state regulations to determine what your options are.

If you elect to keep the container, and after testing the insulation if you have asbestos, sealing it inside the walls of the safe should be more than adequate safety precautions.   Most state agencies have determined that any asbestos must be disposed of, however these regulations are usually generated by politically correctly motivated individuals, pushed by eco-Nazis who do not use any actual prudent, or common sense.   It is also not based on actual science.    Sorry but I'm not one of the fear mongering, ambulance chasing, types.   

If "YOU" deem that it is a potential hazard to your family or yourself, then YOU should take prudent methods to remove it.   But don't be biased by incorrect information, disseminated by the environmentalists Nazis who have an agenda, not a science.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)