Antique Safes/Chubb Queen Victoria Street Safe

Question
Hi Mike,

I have a Chubb safe that has the badge with "128 Queen Victoria Street, London on it. It has two locks on the outside with "Chubbs patent 57st Pauls Churchyard, London".

I was wondering if you could provide me with more information about this safe and what it might be worth, if anything?

Thanks,
Sam

Answer
Hi Samantha,

Thank you for your question.  128 Queen Victoria Street was destroyed by fire during a bombing raid on London during the war, so any safe with this address is likely to have been manufactured prior to 1941.  However, the locks have the St Pauls Churchyard address.  They occupied these premises until they moved to Queen Victoria St in 1877.  So it seems that your safe was made on the cusp, i.e. the safe was made after 1877 but the locks were made between 1820 and 1877.

Either way, it is obviously very old and late Victorian safes of any make have no practical use for the protection of cash, valuables or documents as their construction is totally obsolete. Consequently they only have a nominal value.  The best way to get an idea of prices is to search eBay for 'antique safe' and see what similar safes are fetching.  Ignore the 'buy now' items, they are always over priced and very seldom sell.  Smaller safes in reasonable condition have been fetching around 150.  If you put it up for auction, make sure you specify that the buyer collects - moving these heavy items can cost more than they are worth.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer