Antique Safes/Darke blue syracuse safe company safe

Question
Hi, my name is Alex Emanuel and I live in a small town in Nebraska and at my dads welding shop resides an old Syracuse Safe Co. safe.  It's been here as long as I can remember but nobody seems to have a clue about it's history.  Along with this question I am sending some pictures of the safe in the hopes that you will be able to give me information about the safe.  The locking mechanism has been all but useless for decades now and if you could give me some ideas as to what it costs to fix something like it would go a long way into helping my parents decide whether to fix it or get a new one.  Either way we're keeping it because we love the thing and its one of few things that survived a fire 4 years ago.

Thanks for the help,
Alex Emanuel

Answer
Alex,

The Syracuse Safe Company was in business from 1885 until the beginning of the Great Depression, around 1929.   Your safe appears to have been made in the 1920's.

Unfortunately there are no records available which would give you any history.   If you don't have a listing of previous owners, and/or can't track them down, then the history simply doesn't exist.

As far as why the locking mechanism isn't functioning, without seeing it, I can't address this.   generally mechanical issues require hands on diagnostics and solutions.   Send me photos of the lock and bolt work (inside the door, so that I can see what problems exist.   Also I need to see the wheel pack.

As far as fixing it or getting a new one - these are two separate issues.    If your family needs a safe for security reasons (fire or burglary) then you need to get one that meets those standards.   This safe does not meet any current standards for fire & burglary.

If you want this safe to be a display safe, then restoration would be a great thing to do.   As you have decided to keep it, then cost isn't really important.    Remember the commercial about the guy that brings home a bottle of wine and flowers for his wife.   The commercial says:   Bottle of wine $10, Flowers $12, remembering your wives anniversary, PRICELESS!
The same thing goes for the safe IF you do a nice job of restoration.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)