Antique Safes/J&J SAFE

Question
HI ANDY
TRYING TO OPEN A J&J SAFE AND NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN ON THE LAST RIGHT TURN TO UNTIL IT CLICKS.ASLO AS WELL WHERE IS STARTING POINT ON THE DIAL AND I HAVE A 12OCLOCK AND A TWO OCLOCK.ANYH HELP WOULD BE GREAT AS i NEED TO GET THSI OPEN.
STEPHEN

Answer
Stephen,

there is no starting point!!!    Reminds me of the joke about telling the blonde to stand in the corner of a round room!   LOL!

Simply START dialing - if the lock is 5 x R to the first number, it does not matter where you start - AND more importantly you are NOT counting the revolutions of the dial, you are counting the individual number as IT arrives at the 12 o'clock mark.

So if your first number is 50, you would begin turning the dial clockwise (RIGHT), stopping the fifth time the number 50 ARRIVES at the 12 o'clock index mark.

The "2 o'clock mark" is a service index - ignore it.

The last turn of the dial is for the drive wheel or cam.   As it turns, it will engage the lever assembly and retract the locking bolt of the lock.    If the combination is NOT dialed correctly, or you don't have the correct combination, the lever will not engage the drive wheel, and will not retract the lever.
When the lever has been fully retracted, the lever and cam interaction WILL stop the movement of the dial - so the last turn (on a four wheel lock) would be  1 x R until the dial stops.

Dialing sequences ARE determined by the type of lock, the number of wheels and whether the lock is a left handed or right handed lock - so in general 4 wheel locks would dial either RLRLR or LRLRL, and 3 wheel locks would dial either LRLR or RLRL.

Hope this helps to explain the operation.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)