Antique Safes/Mosler Floor Safe 1881

Inside of Door Writing
Inside of Door Writing  

The inside
The inside  
We have a Antique Mosler safe Circa 1881-1883
Height is 36 1/4 inches Width is 26 inches. Depth is 23 1/4 inches.

Solid steel color black.
On the handle the serial number is 110113
Pat. M'ch 2.2. '81
July 17 Aug 28 /83
Mosler Safe Co
132 Devonshire St
Boston St

There is a better chance that your safe was manufactured between 1893-1895, than 1881-1883.   I don't know where you came up with that date, but it is incorrect.

The numbers you are looking at are PATENT ISSUE dates, which have nothing to do with when the safe was made.   Patent issue dates refers to the dates the patents were issued by the US Patent office.   Items which the patent refers to, would NOT have been manufactured until well AFTER the issue dates.

Second item - note the "Hamilton, O" on the inside of the door.   Mosler relocated to Hamilton, Ohio in 1891, so your safe could NOT have been made in the 1880's, and have had a listing for where the company was going to move - in the future!

All of this being said, your safe is still an antique, just not as old as you hoped or assumed that it is.

what questions do you have concerning your safe???  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada