Antique Safes/Mosler Floor Safe 1881

Question
Inside of Door Writing
Inside of Door Writing  

The inside
The inside  
We have a Antique Mosler safe Circa 1881-1883
Height is 36 1/4 inches Width is 26 inches. Depth is 23 1/4 inches.

Solid steel color black.
On the handle the serial number is 110113
Pat. M'ch 2.2. '81
July 17 Aug 28 /83
Mosler Safe Co
132 Devonshire St
Boston St

Answer
John,

There is a better chance that your safe was manufactured between 1893-1895, than 1881-1883.   I don't know where you came up with that date, but it is incorrect.

The numbers you are looking at are PATENT ISSUE dates, which have nothing to do with when the safe was made.   Patent issue dates refers to the dates the patents were issued by the US Patent office.   Items which the patent refers to, would NOT have been manufactured until well AFTER the issue dates.

Second item - note the "Hamilton, O" on the inside of the door.   Mosler relocated to Hamilton, Ohio in 1891, so your safe could NOT have been made in the 1880's, and have had a listing for where the company was going to move - in the future!

All of this being said, your safe is still an antique, just not as old as you hoped or assumed that it is.

what questions do you have concerning your safe???  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)