Antique Safes/Old Meilink Safe

Question
Meilink Safe
Meilink Safe  
I inherited an old safe and of course there was no combination that came with it. As I have some free time I am interested in manipulating the lock myself to try and figure out the combination (maybe a bit too ambitious). But before I start I was wondering if you could tell me based on the photo how many wheels the lock has and what the turn sequence should be? Appreciate the help.

Answer
Patrick,

Unfortunately, the photo you provided is too small for me to accurately ID the lock, and you haven't really given me any useful info about the safe.   But based on what I can see, I would expect to see one of two different "Eagle" locks on this safe.    Fortunately the dialing sequence for both is the same.

I would assume that this dial is a 50 number dial, the lock would be a two wheel with a drive wheel.   With a 50 number dial, the worst you have would be about 2500 possible combinations to try.   The dialing sequence should be:

3 times right to the first number,
2 times left to the second number,
1 time right until the dial stops (third number).

The lock probably retracts the bolt work, which means the handle probably doesn't turn.   It is only used to pull the door open.
If the lock doesn't retract the bolt work, then the handle will turn to open the door.

Hope this helps you.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)