Antique Safes/The Safe Cabinet

Question
I have a safe from the SAFE CABINET in Marietta, Ohio.  The serial No. is 25591.  Can you tell me approximately how hold the safe is? Thanks

Answer
Judy,

If your safe is from the Safe Cabinet Laboratories it is between 58 to 87 years old, if it is from the Safe Cabinet Company it is between 87 to 108 years old!   Sorry I can't narrow it down more than this.   The age will depend on what you actually have.   As you can see from the narrative below, there are items on the safe that would help to narrow down the age.

Basic History:
The Safe Cabinet Company was organized in 1906, having succeeded a partnership composed of Willis V. Dick and George B. Shad of Marietta, Oh.  During the early years prior to 1909, the word "Dick" was used in different ways in connection with the name "Safe Cabinet", but the words Safe Cabinet or Safe Cabinet Company appeared on all these safes.
The Safe Cabinet Company was a pioneer and leader in the document or record protection industry.   Safe Cabinet products were scientifically tested and they were the first firm to receive Underwriter's Laboratories labels (1913) for fire resistance.
In 1926, they were acquired by Remington-Rand (Rand-Kardex) and the name was changed to Safe Cabinet Laboratories.    In 1955 Remington-Rand became part of the Sperry Corporation, who shut down all manufacturing of fire resistive safes.

Note:   Pretty much all safes and fire resistive products made under these logo's were known to contain asbestos as part of the insulation media.    Keep this in mind if you have any problems and/or eventually decide to sell or dispose of the container.   State laws vary so check your local regulations under HAZMAT, to find out what your responsibilities are, in dealing with Asbestos.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)