Antique Safes/Am steam safe

Question
Am steam safe.
Am steam safe.  
Hello , My name is Brian , I'm kind of a collector of anything old and recently my girlfriend and I were walking through a house we wanted to buy. In the basement was an " Am steam safe" when I saw it I had to have it ! long story short they sold it to me . 5 guys a pickup truck , tow truck and 1 hour later we had it out of the basement ! The woman to me it was he fathers and it was in the basement when the parents bought the house . I have the combo and it opens and works good ! I also had it weighed 2400 lbs yes 2400 !!! I'm guessing it's about 28" wide 28" deep and 38" tall !! My question is any info you could tell me on what kind of save it is like "small bank " or just a personal one and possibly it's age and worth! The last people to own it did paint it which I'm sure kills the value!! Thanks so much !!

Answer
Brian, you are correct about the paint.  Sometimes it can be removed to reveal the original paint, which probably was no longer in great shape.  The safe was designed for more for fire protection than burglary, although it does give some.  I believe it was Sanborn that patented the idea for that safe, which actually contains a water filled tin lining.  Temp goes up, water turns to steam, keeping the interior from burning.  So to a hard core safe collector, the safe would have some interest.  Guessing the age to be post Civil War, late 1860's or 70's.  Value is a tough one, but it is a collectable due to the patent design. However most collectors are more concerned with looks than construction.  If it was mine, I wouldn't sell it for less than $1000.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen