Antique Safes/2 antique safes

Question
smaller safe
smaller safe  

larger safe
larger safe  
Hi!

I recently received these 2 antiques safes from a going-out-of-business sale.  The aren't any clearly visible manufacturer names on either.  The smaller one measures 25.5 x 15.5 x 17.5, has a working but unknown combination, and is definitely empty.  The larger one measures 31.5 x 22 x 20, has some sort of 6-pin key type entry system but no copy of the key is available, and its contents are unknown.  I would like to open them but don't want to risk damaging them if they are of any value themselves or if they might have anything of value inside of them.  Any information you could give me about them would be greatly appreciated, including any recommendations for a Philadelphia area safe technician or specialist.  I would be happy to take more pictures of any specific parts of the safes or provide a description of anything else that might help.

Thanks!!

Answer
David,

Obviously I will need to see a lot better photos to actually ID them.   The smaller safes appears to be either an Alpine or J. Baum Safe.   the second safe may be a Herring or Farrel safe, again, I'll need much better photos.

There are several good safe techs nearby.   I'll give you a listing in the order that I would recommend, though you are free to contact any of them.   Obviously as your larger safe is going to be a fairly rare type antique, you want someone to open it who will NOT damage it, and can make a key for it.

Precision Lock & Safe          about 90 miles
516-616-0854          Elaad Israeli     also does antique safe restoration.
240 Jericho Turnpike
Floral Park, NY   11001

Ed's Safe Service,          about 22 miles
267.475.6517          Ed Sellers
PO Box 486
Harleysville, PA   19438

JR's Lock & Safe Service       about 22 miles
856-809-9997          Joseph Reustle
17 Horseshoe Ct.
Atco, NJ   08004

Resch Safe & Lock          about 82 miles
443-682-1850          Philip Resch
2247 Redthorn Rd
Middle River, MD  21220

Bill's Lock Safe & Security    about 77 miles
(973) 697-1011        Bill Kusnick
88 Wildwood Rd
Oak Ridge, NJ   07438

I'll be coming out to Philadelphia for an auction of antique safes the end of March.   If you have them opened by them I would love to take a look to see what you have.   Unfortunately, I won't have time to work on them as I have a fairly busy schedule that weekend.

If you are interested in antique safes, you may want to check out the auction at Morphy's Auction House on March 30th.   This will be a one of a kind auction of rare, antique safes.

I would like to see a better photo of the face of the larger safe, details and the key lock that you are describing.   it may help to figure out what you have.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)