Antique Safes/Antique Safe. Scrap or Sell?

Question
I have inherited a safe from Steel Equipment Corporation, Avenel, NJ Patented on December 5, 1916.  It use to belong to Raritan Township.  It is about 2x3 1/2x6 foot.  I wanted to know if it is worth selling as a whole or scrapping for metal.  I have less than a month to decide.  The lock works and no rust is visible. It weighs a lot. HELP PLEASE!

Answer
Rachel,

This company was actually the Security Steel Equipment Corporation, Avenal, NJ., This company manufactured desks, filing cabinets and other office equipment.

I have no information about this company being a manufacturer of safes, though they did have a connection with the Art Metal Company (1888 to 1950), which was another manufacture of metal office equipment and who made safes.   The President of Security Steel Equipment Corporation had been a student and a sales agent at the Art Metal Company before going to Security Steel Equipment Corp.

So I will have to see what you actually have.   Unfortunately if the safe is an Art Metal safe, there is a pretty good chance that it has asbestos as an insulation material.   Generally there are pretty stiff regulations about selling, transporting or disposing of HAZMAT material, which includes Asbestos.

So, first lets try to ID what you actually have.   If it turns out to be a safe which potentially has asbestos, I would recommend having the material tested.   If it doesn't have asbestos, then you can go from there.   if it is a HAZMAT item, you will need to find out what your state regulations are as far as selling or disposing of the item is.    NOTE:   as penalties are extremely stiff (starting around $10,000), it is well worth your time to find out about your options.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use on line photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)