Antique Safes/Antique Safe/Volt

Volt open
Volt open  

Volt closed
Volt closed  
I came accost this website and hope you mite be able to help me out.
I have this old safe/volt and have know Idea what it is worth or the history behind it. I have a attached a few pictures of it please email me a address and I can send them to you. I purchased this Safe/volt from a man who was selling all his dads auto repair shop tools ect. His father had past away and before becoming ill he had closed his auto business and put everything in storage. The unit was so full that I had know Idea that this volt was even there till I got to the back of the unit and found it. It took me over 3 hours to figure out  how to open it as it has a large bar that you have to move it in a pattern enable to open it (there is no dile or number combination just a large metal bar). After opening it I found it filled with military boxes that were filled with mostly bullet making items. I have not moved the volt yet, but I can not find a makers mark on the front or on the inside of it. I have not checked the back yet. Please let me know if you have seen anything like this before and If you have any idea what it mite be worth. I'm located in orlando Florida. Thanks Tina
I have more pictures but it only can upload 2 here.

Tina, no I don't recognize it other than a heavy sheet metal storage cabinet, possibly home made by a weldor.  With some sort of padlock applied I would think it could be worth $300 or so. Be careful with the ammo stuff, especially if there is any black powder as it is more dangerous than the modern gunpowder.  Get someone to help you with that.  It is worth more than the safe.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place