Antique Safes/combination lock

Question
I have a safe cabinet standard L E type appox. 30"x25"
The three brass wheels wobble on the post and the wheels must be worn out this makes it too hard to use so I removed it and can still open it without it installed.
Is there a repair for this? Are parts available?
Thanks and looking for your help.

Answer
Gary,

Parts have not been available for the locks on these safes since the late 1950's.   Unless you find another safe with the same lock, to use for donor parts, you may be out of luck.   

The mounting foot print for the locks used on these cabinets is non-standard, meaning that current locks will NOT retrofit without modifications to the door and or lock area.

While digital locks are NOT restricted to the same mounting footprint/alignment problems as mechanical locks, their foot print also does not match up, which means that modifications and drilling/tapping will be required to retrofit an electronic lock.

Obviously retrofitting your container to a new lock WILL depend on your mechanical capabilities, tools available, and the modifications necessary.   If you don't have the technical or mechanical abilities to do the work, you will need to have a safe technician from a local safe company make the appropriate changes.

WARNING:   These safes (this manufacturer) was known to use asbestos as an insulation medium.  Any cutting or modifying of the container which exposes any of the insulation will expose you to possible inhalation hazards.   Use proper safety equipment including proper respirators, rated for asbestos exposure.   Clean up the area thouroughly afterwards.   Reseal any areas of the container which have exposed asbestos.
Check your local, state and federal regulations concerning sale of, transportation of or disposal of asbestos as a HAZMAT material.   Liabilities and fines can be extremely stiff, and are NOT worth cutting corners.

Cost and associated problems with this container to upgrade it, may not make sense.   As this container has no collectible, retail or commercial value, and as it does NOT meet any current standards for fire resistance, it may be more effective to simply remove the existing lock, and install a hasp and padlock.

Sorry the answer isn't better, but your hands are kind of tied with this one.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)