Antique Safes/Diebold vault questions

Lock works
Lock works  
I have a vault I belive is a Diebold. The only ID is the time lock, the label on the top hinge has been removed but adhesive remains. I have changed the 2 combinations and set it up to require both, it has one dial only. 2 questions. the 2 door mounted relockers are a red fusible link. What temperature will activate them? Where could i get a replacement time lock bezel?

Yes this is a Diebold door.  The dial has three positions, All the way in to operate one lock, half way out is a neutral position, and all the way out to operate the second lock.   I'm not sure why you want to require BOTH locks to open the vault door.   Having it set up as a redundant set up, means if one lock fails to open, the second lock will still get the vault open.   This could save you about $10,000 in repair costs by having the second lock as a back up.   EITHER lock would open the safe.    This is the same reason that the time lock has three movements, ANY one WILL unlock, allowing access to the door.   If any one fails, one of the other two will open the lock.

I'm not sure what you are refering to as a "bezel"????   Are you looking for the plastic cover for the time lock box?   Or something for an individual movement???   If you are looking for the plastic cover, they are around, though it is generally part of the complete lock.   I'm not sure if my time lock repair guy has extras, or if I can get them from Diebold or not.   I would have to check.

As far as the fusible links go, usually they are marked with the temperature that they go off at.   I've got them listed down in one of my books at the office, but as I have yet to have one fire off due to heat, it's not a number I worry about or have memorized.   I know its pretty hot and would take something like a cutting torch burning through the door to release it.   Is this something you are planning or worried about?

If you send me an email directly, about the links and the plastic lock cover for the time lock, I'll see what I have.   I'll be out in the field tomorrow, and won't remember this request by tuesday when I'm back in the office.

Email me at:

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada