Antique Safes/Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Co old safe can't be opened

Question
Hi I have a  Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Co Safe in my basement that was here when I moved in. The house had been empty and some kids broke in and tried to drill it open through where the handle should be.(They broke it off) They also chiseled the dial off and tried to drill or melt the tumbler assembly. I'm curious to know if I can cut the door hinges off with a torch and get the door off or if I would need to cut a hole through the side if I wanted to get inside it. I'm fairly sure there isn't anything in it as I know the woman who used to own it, but you never know. I am also interested to know if there may be any other way to open it, or if you think it could be repaired, I wouldn't mind having an awesome old safe like this one.

Answer
   Eric, recently I got a call from a construction crew foreman to open an old bank vault door so the vault space could be utilized for a new restaurant. Upon arrival that day, I saw that the foreman had already used an oxy-acetylene torch to burn off the pilot wheel compression system, which is used to pull open and force shut the tight fitting door. I informed him that what he had done would in no way help in getting the door open, and actually made the job harder. He understood his mistake. I quoted a price which the store owner thought too high. It wasn't but I left to let them think it over.  A few days later I stopped by to see how they were getting along.  Amazingly, the owner, in his infinite wisdom had hired another torch man come in and burn off the door crane hinge.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  Guess what, the door was still locked.          So much for cutting off the hinges.          The safe can be opened and it can be repaired.  It will not be cheap.  But then again neither will having a torn up piece a scrap removed from your basement and disposed of.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen