Antique Safes/Herring hall and Marvin safe age.

Question
Safe face
Safe face  
I have inherited a herring hall and Marvin safe co. Safe from my wife's recently passed grandfather. I've tried to find a age searching all the available forums and I have yet to run across one like this. It stands around 80" by 36" wide by 26" deep. At eye level it has " Herring•Hall•Marvin safe co. With Hamilton O. At around knee level it has Manganese steel safe co dealers St Louis Mo and lastly it has Mortiz optical co. Across the top in the same silver leaf type paint as the pin striping and letting on the safe itself. It has 8" fixed wheels ( not casters) at all 4 corners and lastly the brass knobs that turn the bolts both have "54579" stamped on their face. Obviously this safe isn't for sale and I'm not overly concerned about a value. I have the combination given to me and me alone on his death bed and it works. It has wood shelving and an additional metal lock box that measures 10"x8" and 3 wooden drawers with locks and green felt bottoms. I have all keys to all locks and though they require a little jiggling of the keys they all function. A decade age would be great.

Answer
Chris,

Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe company was formed in 1892 with the merger of three safe companies the Herring (and Farrel) safe companies, the Marvin Safe Company, and Hall's Safe & Lock Company.   This cmopany was in business until it filed bankruptcy in the late 1950's and was acquired by Diebold in 1959.   The factory was subsequently closed down in 1964.

As far as when YOUR safe was made, I'll have to examine your safe.   Unfortunately there are no records by serial number which let us know when any particular safe was made.    Regardless of wether you want a value or not, I'll need all of the requested photos to give you an evaluation of the safe, and to answer your questions.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use on line photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)