Antique Safes/Hobbs & Co Safe

Question
Safe Exterior
Safe Exterior  

Safe Interior
Safe Interior  
Hello

We have a large Hobbs & Co Safe measuring H:45in x W: 28in x D: 27in.

It is in working order with one key.  we are looking to get rid of this and wondered if it has any value or if you know anyone that might be interested in this type of item?

Thanks
Jen

Answer
Hello Jennifer,

Hobbs was a famous lock and safe maker in his day and was Chubb's major competitor. The company eventually merged to become Hobbs Hart and then were acquired by Chubb.

This type of construction is generally referred to as 'pillar banded' and was considered obsolete by 1910.

It has very little commercial value as safes of this age provide no protection against modern methods of attack and insurers are reluctant to cover their contects for anything other than nominal amounts.  Consequently, dealers in used safes would be unlikely to be interested in and old Hobbs.  The best you could hope for is that they would take it away at no charge.

The best way to get an idea of its value is to watch what antique safes fetch on eBay.  Ignore the 'buy now' prices as they always ask too much and they seldom sell.  Remember, this safe is going to be very heavy so it is important that a buyer collects it at their expense.  Currently they are fetching around 150 but yours should be worth a little more as Hobbs safes were very well made.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer