Antique Safes/Hobbs & Co safe

Hello Mike,

I have a Hobbs & Co safe which has a plate on ot whoch says it's The Leyton Safe & I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about it.

Many thanks Dave

Hello David,

Thanks for your question.  Hobbs later merged with Hart to become Hobbs Hart and in turn were acquired  by Chubb.  There's probably quite a lot I could tell you about your safe but as Hobbs were making safes for over 100 years, there were many different types and models, so I would need to see a couple of pictures in order to comment further.

It would be helpful to have two pictures; one with the door shut so I could see the whole of the front exterior of the safe and one with the door open so I can see the door thickness and the bolt-work.  If you find it more convenient, you can send them to me directly at  They don't have to be particularly high resolution - 1mb each or thereabouts would be perfect.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others