Antique Safes/j cartwright double door safe

Question
I have recently purchased a j cartwright double door safe dimensions
36in high 36in wide 25in deep. could you give me some idea of the weight of this safe as i have to collect

Answer
Hello Malcolm,

Thank you for your question - which is not easy to answer.  Firstly, I don't know what type of Cartwright safe this is.  Most are over 100 years old and although I have a very extensive archive of literature on late Victorian safes, I have none on Joseph Cartwright.  I have looked at literature for similar safes of that period and size but there seemed to be a general reluctance to publish weights in those days.

Much of the weight of the safe is from the safe's loose filling of sand and sawdust.  This crude filling was intended to provide some level of fire protection.  So my best guess is that this safe will weigh approximately 9cwt which converts to around 450Kg.  As the filling is redundant, you could reduce the weight by cutting a hole near the base of the safe and pouring some of it away (the sides and back will be relatively thin mild steel).

However, with this sort of weight, you need to know what you are doing.  If you use a professional safe moving contractor the cost could possibly exceed the value of the safe.  If you need any recommendations on who would be able to assist you, let me know your nearest city and I can probably point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer