Antique Safes/key

Question
Both of my parents have now past.  My sisters and I took what we wanted from there belongs. amongst the these things i took a key must have been hidden because i found it after moving the items.  My mom wrote on a tag on the key "Safety deposit"  I called two banks which i knew my parents dealt with in past but they said they didnt have a safety deposit box with them.  It is a large thick key with the name engraved "Sargent & Greenleaf inc. My parents didnt have a safe. Could it belong to a deposit box at a bank?  the key has a engraved ID number. This key is a mystery. I have to solve it! Can you help me?

Answer
Lori,

While I can possibly ID the key as belonging to a safe deposit box "lock", there are no records available anywhere, which would indicated where THAT particualar lock is located.    Manufacturers NEVER kept this type of information for obvious security and liability reasons.

You may want to check with other banks in the area as well.   Generally you will need a letter from the executor of the estate, or many banks may not even discuss the matter with you, as they have no idea who you are.

If you have the letter and the key they should be willing to help.

As far as the number on the key, if it is a 6 or 7 digit number, it is simply the serial number of the key, not the box number.   If it is a 2 or 3 digit number, then it may be a box number.

This is one of the reasons that it is so important to talk to your parents as they get older, to get their affairs in order, and to identify all assests, etc. prior to their death so that you don't lose it.

If it has been over 6 months since they past away, their box may have been opened by the bank.   The contents are usually transfered to a state depository of some type and held until claimed.   You might want to check with the bank to find out where unclaimed safe deposit box contents are sent, and then check there also.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)