Antique Safes/MeiLink lift out tri bolt door

QUESTION: I bought a bluebird motor lodge and under the seat is a safe. model # on lock is P1638 and serial # 82-79584 . Now this is not locked in the safe and I have the number to open it but the dial has two white dots that you could stop at with your numbers and I have not been able to find the correct sequence tp open this lock to be able to use it any and all information would help

I'm not sure WHAT the white dots are for, unless a previous owner need a better reference point.   Generally these had small white index "lines", not dots.

If you think of one being at 12 o'clock and the other at 11 o'clock, you have the door positioned correctly.

Dialing sequence is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (should be around 80) - bolts should be retracted at this point.   door can be lifted in or out of the container.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 50 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you can't figure it out, take the lid to a local safe company to have them check it out, and/or service and reset the combination so that it works accurately each and every time.

hope this helps,

QUESTION: thank you for your fast and knowledgeable answer to my question.
I was kinda confusing on the to little white dots and you are right these are lines that are on the front face of the lock that you use to dial your numbers to. my confusion is why are there two lines that you could dial your numbers two so which do i choose 11:00 position or the 12:00 position to line the numbers on the dial to???

The 11:00 index mark is a service mark used by safe technicians during service and to change or reset the combination of the lock.

The 12:00 index mark is called the "opening index", and is used to dial the combination to, to open the lock.

The only index you will use is the 12 o'clock index mark.

Hope this explains it.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada