Antique Safes/Milner Double Door Safe

Question
Milner Double Door
Milner Double Door  

Hipkins and Co
Hipkins and Co  
Hi Mike.. I'm currently clearing out an old lawyers office in Edinburgh.. There are 3 old safes, a large Milner double door safe..  also a Hipkins & Co.. the 3rd has no name plate..
Just wondered it it's worth the trouble of removing them as I probably wont have access to the building again after the 3rd of March.. Any advice would be much appreciated..
thanks
Mike

Answer
Hello Mike,

Thanks for your question and the pictures.  

The Milner was made circa 1890, the Hipkins of a similar age and I can just make out the corner of another safe which would also date back to the same late Victorian era.  All three are totally obsolete and no longer suitable for the security of cash or documents.  Being full of sand and sawdust; the Milner probably weighs around 1000kg and the other two about 470kg each.  The cost of moving them will almost certainly far exceed any residual value.  

So in short, they aren't worth a great deal, so leave them where they are.

I hope this helps.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer