Antique Safes/Mosler Safe

Question
Mosler Safe
Mosler Safe  

Mosler Safe
Mosler Safe  
Would like any info such as manufacture date, what it cost then, and what is it worth now?

Thanks

Answer
Trey,

The safe appears to be a late 1940's or 50's safe.   It is NOT a burglary resistive safe, it was designed as a fire resistive safe.   The fire "classification C" indicates it was a 1 hour fire resistive safe.   The "T-20 Burglary" classification, acually meant "TAMPER Resistant 20 minutes", NOT Burglary resistant.

As far as the original cost of the safe - I don't do "original costs" - it has no meaning or bearing on what the safe is today, other than satisfying a curiosity.   As Mosler has been out of business for over 12 years, contacting them to try to find out original history info, is not an option.

As for the current value today, based on the following categories:

Fire resistance:     $0     Does not meet current standards
Burglary resistance: $0     This is NOT a burglary resistive safe.
Resale:          $0     Has no commercial or retail value.   Should not be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.
Antique:          $0     Safe is NOT over 100 years old.
Collectible:         $0     Saef is NOT considered a collectible.   This was basically considered "office equipment" for storage of documents, to protect them against Heat or Fire.

While the container has no value under the above categories, this doesn't mean that it has no value.   In its current condition it is worth between $250-$500.   With all the rust and moisture damage apparent in the photos, probably on the lower end.

NOTE/WARNING:   In the photos the container appears to have a tear gas canister attached.   There are several problems with this, the least of which is that in most states it is illegal to possess this type of tear gas without a special permit.   Second problem, as it is attached to the safe, this constitutes "BOOBY-TRAPPING", which in most states is also a felony.   Third problem with this device is it can be lethal to anyone with any breathing disorders.   If the vials are broken or the gas is released, it may be several weeks before the home or building can be used again.   Anyone exposed to the gas WILL have severe muceous mebrane reactions including the eyes, nose, throat and breathing, it can also cause sever skin reactions.

If you contact your local police or fire department, they will probably show up with a HAZMAT Team and/or the bomb squad, to remove and dispose of the item.   You could be liable for all associated costs for removal.
If you attempt to remove it yourself, and trigger the device or break the vials, you may also be charged with creating a HAZMAT spill, again you may be liable for any associated costs for police, fire department, HAMAT Teams, etc. involved in any clean up.
My recommendation would be to have the item removed and disposed of by a trained safe technician from a local safe company.

This is NOT something that you want to play with.

Sorry for the bad news, but hope this helps you with this container.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)