Antique Safes/The Mosler Safe Company Safe

safe 2
safe 2  
My great grandfather opened a grocery store in Wellington, Texas, in 1916. The safe in the attached photo came from that store.  It was made by the Mosler Safe Company

Can you estimate for me what year the safe was made, its value, and its weight?  Because the safe is so heavy, I can't move it away from the wall to look for an identification number.

Thanks so much for any help you may give me.

Debbie , the basic style was used from the latter 1880's up until at least WWI, so it may have been purchased new in 1916.  Or already used.  Kind of hard to tell weight without dimensions but judging from the pictures it could be 1000 lbs.  Safes of this size are a bit of hard sell so I think you would be lucky to get even $400-500.  The original paint is a plus though.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place