Antique Safes/old safe identification

Tony safe
Tony safe  

tony lock
tony lock  
A friend gave me this old safe. Had the combo but its inside; someone spun the dial not realizing there wasn't a copy. Has a Sargent and Greenleaf lock. Was used many years ago by an old drug store. Located near Pensacola, FL. Had heard that if I could identify the manufacturer I might be able to get the combination.
any help or suggestions most appreciated. Thanks!

"IF" you could ID the manufacturer, and "IF" they are still in business, what you could do is to check for the original combination that your safe may have left the factory set on.  "IF" the combination had ever been changed, then there will be no record of this.

As the dial in the photo does NOT appear to be original, I would immagine that the combination was probably changed or reset when the dial was replaced.

The safe appears to be early 1900's up to the 1920's, while the dial appears to be 1950's or 60's.  So even if the manufacturer was in business, I doubt they could help.    Unfortunately as this safe has been repainted and the dial replaced, it may not be possible to actually ID the manufacturer until the safe is open and we get a look at the bolt work.

Without having the safe open, there is no way of telling if the original lock is still in the safe, or if it was also changed out.   If you don't have access to the original owners to try to retrieve the combination, then you options are limited.

In this particular case, you are probably going to need a safe technician from a local safe company.   Your other option would be to try all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations that the lock might be set on.

the closest company I know of in your area is:

American Lock & Safe, Inc
7492 Baywoods Lane
Pensacola, FL  32504

You can discuss the opening & repair possibilities with them to see if you want to proceed.   You can also check your local Yellow Pages under "safes & vaults" for other companies.

NOTE:  I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes.   I recommend having a trained safe technician to the work.   As someone has already installed an incorrect dial, the value of the safe as an antique has been lowered, so you don't want someone ruining the rest of the safe to get it open.

Hope this helps, sorry the options are so limited.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada