Antique Safes/Phillip & Sons

Question
SAfe1
SAfe1  

Safe2
Safe2  
Hi Mike

I am reposting a question to you with recommendation from Terry Andreasen.
It follows as:

Hope you are well, i was wondering if you could spare some of your wisdom with me, a friends father has recently immigrated out of south Africa and has left us to sell of some items of his, and one is an old Phillips & Sons safe, now i don't pretend to know much about antiques or safes but i cant help but think that this is a fairly uncommon safe to have. It is fairly tarnished (although may just need a wash# and we still have the original key, so i was just wanting to ask what you can tell me about the company?  (i heard they no longer in business) or this safe itself, as I'm attaching pics along with it. (if it works)

Thanks Mike if you can let me know anything

Answer
Hello Dalton,

Thank you for the enquiry and the pictures.  This type of safe is referred to as 'square corner banded'.  It was constructed from mild steel plates riveted or screwed to an angle-iron frame.  As the joints were very vulnerable to attack, manufacturers began to wrap heavy steel bands around the front and rear edges.  It didn't achieve a great deal and by 1910, this type of safe was largely redundant.

Phillip & Sons disappeared many years ago but are very common in the UK and fetch very little here as they have no function other than decorative.  However, they do scrub up really well and if professionally resprayed to a good level of finish (an auto repair workshop could do this) and all the brasswork highly polished, they make a very smart wine cupboard and also fetch much more.

I suggest you keep an eye on safes of this sort on Ebay.  Ignore the 'Buy Now' items as they invariably ask too much and they seldom sell.  However if you watch a few you will get some idea of values and inevitably someone will post one or two that have been smartly reconditioned - this should give you some ideas.

Good luck,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer