Antique Safes/Phillips & Sons Safe

Question
SAfe1
SAfe1  

Safe2
Safe2  
Hi Tom

I am reposting a question to you with recommendation from Terry Andreasen.
It follows as:

Hope you are well, i was wondering if you could spare some of your wisdom with me, a friends father has recently immigrated out of south Africa and has left us to sell of some items of his, and one is an old Phillips & Sons safe, now i don't pretend to know much about antiques or safes but i cant help but think that this is a fairly uncommon safe to have. It is fairly tarnished (although may just need a wash) and we still have the original key, so i was just wanting to ask what you can tell me about the company?  (i heard they no longer in business) or this safe itself, as I'm attaching pics along with it. (if it works)

Thanks Tom if you can let me know anything

Answer
It is about 1880 but I am afraid there are thousands of them around in the UK and they have neither insurance rating nor collectable value. Filled with sawdust and alum, their protection against fire was limited and only slightly better against burglars than the unbanded safes (the metal bands around the safe were to resist people unrivetting them).
They sell for under 100.
I have the managing directors desk from the printers of the transfers which were used inside Phillips safes, but Phillips went more than 50 years ago.
Sorry
Tom

Antique Safes

Tom Gordon