Antique Safes/S. Jones Boston Floor safe

Question
S. Jones safe front
S. Jones safe front  
I have inherited an antique floor safe.  It's about 4 feet high and measures 28"x28".  It has a plaque on the front saying S. Jones Boston.  Any information on the foundry or value of it would be appreciated as I will be donating it to our local museum here in St. George New Brunswick Canada.  It was probably purchased circa 1880 by my great great grandfather who did business in Boston. THanks very much. Sara

Answer
Sara, yours is only the second Samuel Jones safe I have seen, but then again I don't live in New England.  The only thing I know is that he was in business at least as early as 1852 to at least 1864, and your safe is from that era, not the 1880's.  Do you have the key?  I would greatly appreciate any photos you could email me, of the key and of the safe.  Pricing on safes from this era, especially on lesser known makers like S. Jones, is not at all well established and my feeling is to go a bit on the high side of what it might actually fetch at auction.  If you have the key then $2000 US minimum, and that is much lower than what I would consider fair. I am in the business of making keys and doing repairs on safes like these and I have a great deal of respect for the workmanship that went into making these safes.  Doug  my email is macslocks at gmail dot com  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen