Antique Safes/Safe

Question
My grandfather passed away about a year ago. We cleaned out his lakehouse and found a safe. I found the combination on a laminated piece of paper in his wallet. It works and its in pretty good condition. I'm not thinking about selling it. But i would really like to know what it is worth. It was patented in Jan 9 of 1906.Its made by the Marietta,Ohio cabinent company. Its make is "the dick". if you could get back to me i would really appreciate it thanks for your time.

Answer
Bryson,

Basic History,

THE SAFE CABINET COMPANY  (1905-1926) Marietta, OH
  The Safe Cabinet Company was organized under the laws of Ohio about January 31st 1906.  Having then succeeded a partnership composed of Willis V. Dick and George B. Shad of Marietta.  They traded under the firm name of the Safe Cabinet Company, and who founded the business now owned by the Safe Cabinet Company in February, 1905, and then commenced the manufacture and sale of the goods known as “Safe-Cabinets”.  His safe-cabinet was a novelty manufactured from sheet metal in such a way as to leave an air space between two thin sheets of metal in which space was placed a fire proof material in such a manner as to become what is known as “fireproof” construction.
  During the early years of its manufacture, prior to 1909, the word “DICK” was used in different ways in connection with the name “Safe-Cabinet”, but the words “safe-cabinet’ or “Safe-Cabinet Company” appeared on all of these products.  From the year 1909 on the name plate simply called it the “Safe-Cabinet” putting on also the date of the patent, the name of the company and its place of manufacture.
  The Safe Cabinet Company was a pioneer and leader in the record protection field.  Safe Cabinet products were scientifically tested.  The first pre-cast oven dried monolithic type safe was built, and the Safe Cabinet Company was the first firm to apply for and receive Underwriter’s Laboratories Labels (1913 UL tests a container called an insulated cabinet for the Safe Cabinet Company).  
       The Safe Cabinet Company was acquired by Remington-Rand in 1926 to add fire resistive storage containers to their line of products.   Remington-Rand was the merger of Rand-Kardex and the Remington Typewriter company.   They continued to manufacture fire resistive safes and containers until they were acquired by the Sperry Corporation in 1955 (Sperry-Rand).   All safe manufacturing was closed down by 1956.

One of the problems with safes from this company is that they were a known user of asbestos as an insulation material.   Most states have strict rules concerning the sales, transportation or disposal of items containing Asbestos, which is a HAZMAT item.
#1 - before doing anything with the container, I would recommend having it tested to find out if yours has asbestos or not.   If you don't have a local testing agency, you can get a home test kit at most Home Depots, LOWES, Ace Hdw., CVS Pharmacies, etc...   or by going on line to:  http://www.prolabinc.com/asbestos-test-kits.asp

#2 - familiarize yourself with all local and state regulations regarding asbestos and/or your obligations and requirements.

Generally Asbestos is ONLY dangerous if it becomes airborne, AND you inhale it.   As long as the material is contained within a sealed container, like the safe body, it should be ok.   Thouroughly inspect the body of the safe and door, to ensure that there are no spots where insulation is exposed.    If you have to expose the insulation for testing purposes, use all necessary safety procedures to ensure that you and others are not exposed.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)