Antique Safes/Safe cabinet company. Large safe

Safe cabinet company
Safe cabinet company  

Mosley safe
Mosley safe  
What is this safe worth?

You've asked a fairly vague question, and included photos of two different safes.

First as to the "vagueness" of the question.   "worth" is based on a number of items including the age, manufacturer, model, type of container, materials used, interior components and condition.

Without seeing the safe or a full set of photos, I can't evaluate your safe, however I can give you some guidance concerning the Safe Cabinet Safe.

The Safe Cabinet Company was in business from 1905 to 1926, when it was acquired by Remington-Rand (merger of Rand-Kardex and the Remington Typewriter companies), to provide their filing systems with some type of fire resistance.   After 1926 these safes were known as the Safe Cabinet Laboratories.   Safes were manufactured by Remington-Rand until they were acquited by the Sperry Corporation (became Sperry-Rand) in 1955, and all of the safe manufacturing was shut down.

These manufacturers were known to have used Asbestos as an insulation material in many of their safes.  As Asbestos is considered to be a HAZMAT item, most states (federal regulations) have rules regarding the sale of, transportation of, or disposal of items containing any HAZMAT item, which would include Asbestos.   Before I can evaluate or appraise the container, it will need to be tested for this material.  If you don't have a local testing agency, you can obtain a home test kit from most Home Depots, Lowes, Ace Hardware, CVS Pharmacies, etc, or by ordering it on line at:

In general these safes do not meet current standards for fire resistance, are not burglary resistive safes, have no commercial or retail value, and are not considered a collectible item.

Once you have determined its status as far as the Asbestos is concerned, I would be more than happy to look at your safe to evaluate it.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.
If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use on line photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

As far as the second safe goes - the Mosler Safe, while this is a more current model, and doesn't have the asbestos issues, it is still older - probably 1960's.   Generally safes over 50 years old do not meet current standards for fire resistance.    Just as above, if you would like it evaluated, I'll need to see photos to determine what you have and its condition.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada