Antique Safes/safe deposit boxes

Question
I have a large cary safe that will fit a nest of 3x10s that are 3 across and 7 down or 2 across and? down i see them on sites for stupid money and ive read your replys to people that u scrap them . just looking for a sorce thats reasonable  thanks Ed

Answer
Ed,

As you are in New York, I would check with some of the large companies there, like Empire Safe Company, or Acme Safe Company, there are also numerous smaller companies that may have some used nests for sale.
Probably one of the largest companies that deals in used safe deposit boxes and may have older ones which might fit your safe better, would be Underwoods Safe & Vault, in Okalahoma.   http://underwoodsafe.net/

As far as reasonable prices, I'm not sure what you consider a resonable price.   On a nest of 3x10 boxes, you might have 30 boxes, the locks alone are worth $35-45 per lock (possibly more for antique type locks.  So at a minimum - based on lock value alone you could be looking at around $1000 for a nest.

Companies that may have a lot of used nests in stock, may be willing to sell them for a lesser amount, simply to get rid of some of their stock, HOWEVER, as generally nests are part of a larger group or series of boxes, buying a single nest may NOT get you a significantly reduced price.

As far as buying on the internet - you have very little assurances of what you are getting.   I hear far more stories about bad purchases than I do about good purchases.   In most cases you get what you pay for.

Second question would be what quality are you looking for????   As the Cary Safe Company was out of business in 1929, are you looking for something that is "period correct", or simply a cheap nest to fit in your safe?   While you can get a more recent aluminum nest, the older correct style would be a steel nest with a polished or "jiggered" finish.   As the steel nest is going to be much heavier, it is also going to be much more expensive.

Like anything else, you will find the right price and the right nest, but it will take some looking around.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)