Antique Safes/Whitfield safe

Question
Lock
Lock  

picture of safe
picture of safe  
Hi Mike
I came across an old safe of my husbands from many moons ago which was abandoned in our garden during building work.  It has a lock and two keys but havn't managed to get it open yet as it is obviously quite rusty.  It reads 'Whitfield Manor Birmingham Impregnable fireproof chest and 'safe bind save find'  External dimensions are H620mm x W440mm x D34mm.  Just wondering if it is worth anything?

Many thanks

Gillian

Answer
HI Gillian,

Thanks for your question and the pictures.  Whitfield was one of a host of small Black Country safe makers who emerged in the late Victorian era.  SAdly it has no value commercially as insurers won't accept them because they provide no protection against today's burglars and have virtually no fire resistance for documents.

However, some people like to buy these ancient safes to restore them to a high standard of finish. then sell them on as wine cupboards or curios.

The best way to get a feel for its value is to search eBay for 'antique safes' and see what they are fetching.  Ignore BUY NOW items as they inevitably overprice them and seldom sell.  The lock is brass so you should be able to get it open, especially with a bit of WD40 around the hinges.  

If it opens it could be worth 50 to 100 but if you are unable to get the door to budge, it will be more or less worthless as the cost of calling in a safe enginee would be more than its value.  If you auction it, make sure you state 'buyer collects' as its filling of sand and sawdust will make it quite heavy.

I hope this helps,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer