Antique Safes/YORK SAFE & LOCK CO

Question
I HAVE A LARGE SAFE MADE BY YORK SAFE & LOCK CO, 15 MAYDEN LANE,NEW YORK. IT IS ALSO MARKED - THE EQUITABLE LIFE ASSURANCE SOCIETY OF THE US.
IT IS A DOUBLE DOOR SAFE - 130CM HIGH, 97CM WIDE, 80CM DEEP, WITH A WOODEN INTERIOR CASING AND SHELVES.
IT IS A COMBINATION SAFE WITH THE TUMBLER MECHANISM REMOVED BUT STILL INTACT.
CAN YOU OFFER ME ANY INFORMATION REFARDING THIS SAFE AND IF IT HAS ANY VALUE?

REGARDS
DAVE OXLEY
CAPE TOWN
SOUTH AFRICA

Answer
Dave, I wouldn't have a clue as to the current used safe market in South Africa.  But the safe is open and if the lock can be re-installed to work, then it is usable and has some value, certainly more than the cost of getting the lock back in.  But why was the lock removed?  Possibly to insure it would not get locked up sans combination.  York made a quality product, was in business for 50-60 years and made many different products, including the Cleveland Federal Reserve vault here.  I would need pictures to tell much more.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen