Antique Safes/Anchors

Question
1) For a wooden floor in a apt building which BRAND and TYPE of anchors do you recommend "and" not recommend?

2)what is a decent safe alarm system at a reasonable cost that will inform me someone is trying to break into my safe  when I am not home?

3) Is there a gps finder that a person can put into safes

Answer
John,

1.  It doesn't matter WHAT type of anchors you use - the weak link is still the wood.   Unless you can get under the floor to install a steel plate, through which you can bolt to the safe.   plates at each anchor hole will spread any force applied to the safe out, allowing the floor to hold the safe in place.    Lag bolts will simply rip out of the floor if sufficient force is applied to the safe.

While butterfly or toggle bolts will provide more surface tensile strength and hold down power than the lag bolts, because of their basic design, they are inherently weak.   Again sufficient force applied to them will cause them to fail.

2.  Sorry, but I work on safes and not alarm systems.   You would need to direct this question to someone with that expertise.    However there are devices that you can apply with an alarm system to alert you to tampering.   These include micro-switches attached to the lock which will catch any tampering or movement of the dial.   Capacitive resistant devices which measure the electrical resistance of the safe.   Any tampering or touching of the safe will change its capacitive resistance, activating the alarm or notification system.   Years ago there was a copper mesh type fabric or sheet, which could be attached to interior areas of the safe.   This would activate the alarm or notification system if someone tried to drill the safe (I've haven't seen these in a number of years so I don't know if it is still available).
Discuss what current devices are available with your alarm company - if they aren't aware of these devices or anything like them, then they may not be the right alarm company.

3.  Similarly, I would discuss the GPS function or device with your alarm company to see what they may have available.   Check out the "Eon GPS Asset Tracker", this unit has an extended life battery that will work for months, and provide real time GPS tracking of assets like your safe.   The secret to its battery long life is, when stationary it reports every 7 days conserving the battery, when in motion it transmits its location every 5 minutes.   The Eon GPS asset tracker uses powerful magnets to easily attach to the wall of your safe.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)