Antique Safes/Cary Safe

Question
DSC_0116
DSC_0116  

DSC_0109
DSC_0109  
Hi Terry,

I recently acquired a Cary Safe (see attached pictures). Itís in great shape and works very well. The acorns are hollow, the number on the handle is 199671, the dial is stamped with the name Cary, and the combination is 3 digits and stops/opens at 90. Can you tell me when it was manufactured approximately and the type of lock? Can you explain the purpose of the blue powdery stuff found on the edge of the door and the safe? This stuff rubs off very easily and it missing in certain areas. Iíve noticed the same on many pictures found on the internet. Finally, I will need to redo the cabinetry. I was wondering if you have pictures of what it looked like when new and what type of wood I should be using?

Thank you

Alain
Montreal

Answer
Alain,

The serial number indicates that your safe would have been built between 1926-1928.  The lock is probably a Yale M-16.   This was basically an upgraded version of the Yale Y6 lock, with an internal relocking trigger, and three wheels.

I'm not sure what the "blue" material actually is.   While I have seen this on a few Cary safes, it was not the norm.   Most of the safes had a white seal, similar to the material you find on oven doors to help keep the heat out.   As your blue material "rubs off fairly easily", I would have to assume that it was probably a felt liner along the seal edge, more for decoration than actual heat resistance.

As far as providing you with "NEW" photos of Cary safes, until myself and another guy began doing research on this company, very little was actually known about them.   While we have managed to get quite a bit of information, we do not have any of the original catalogs or similar items from the manufacturer.

I do have a lot of photos of Cary safes, and can probably come up with one near your serial number to provide some idea of what it looked like.   As far as "what type of wood" you can use Oak, Rosewood, Cherry, Walnut, etc.

What other questions do you have???

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)