Antique Safes/Chubb detector lock safe C19th

Question
Chubb and Son
Chubb and Son  
Good evening, im hoping you can help me. After HOURS of searching the internet i have came across you, and hope you can point me in the right direction!

i have, what i believe to be a 19th century Chubb and Son Combination safe with detector lock.
please find the enclosed image, the writing says " Chubb and Sons Lock and Safe Company of 128 Queen Victoria Street, London "  

Any help will be greatly appreciative!

Thanks.

Answer
Hi Matt,

Thank you for your question.

The Chubb brothers (Charles & Jeremiah) first London office was established at 57 St Paul's Churchyard in 1820.  In 1877 they moved to larger premises at 128 Queen Victoria Street and remained there until the premises were destroyed by fire following an air raid in 1941.  So this address appears on many safes made during that 64 year period.  

I can't see as much as I would like of the safe in the picture, but I suspect it is what we call a 'square cornered' safe.  They were constructed from mild steel plates riveted or screwed to an angle-iron frame.  This method of construction was popular from the mid 1800's to around 1910 when it was considered obsolete, mainly due to the vulnerability of the rear of the safe, where the backplate could easily be ripped open.  Consequently many of these old safes were recessed into a wall, as in this case, to prevent the safe being spun around to reveal the weak back.  My best guess is that this one was manufactured around 1890.  

It was the patented invention of the Detector Lock that made Chubb famous.  The government sponsored a competition to design an unpickable lock and this was the Chubb brothers' submission.  If you attempt to pick it, a spring is operated which blocks the lock to prevent it opening.  When the owner inserts their key, it will not turn - indicating that someone has tried to overcome it.  The owner simply turns the key to re-lock it - this clears it and allows it to function once more.  it won the competition and the Chubb brothers closed their ships chandlery business in Portsmouth to become lock and safe makers.  The detector lock can still be found fitted to Chubb Deed Boxes being manufactured well into the late 1900s.

I hope you find this useful.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer