Antique Safes/dialing Cary C-5

Question
I would like to open a safe at a popular hotel here in town. Page 60 of The National Locksmith Nov 2012 issue shows pictures of it but mine has the original sept. 16, 1890 lock with the 100 number dial, false gates all the way around, and 77484 on both handles. I believe everything is original with a Cary C-5 Straight tail piece, screw change, 3-wheel lock. What is the correct dialing sequence for this lock? What nombers are the lockout zone? Is the final number set at 71 as on other safes I have worked on like this? Would like to open it without drilling and have plenty of time to try numbers. any sequences I should try? thanks for any help. jeff galli

Answer
Jeff,

Based on the serial number that you have provided, 77484, I WOULD expect to find a Cary C-5 type lock.

Straight tail piece locks can be dialed both LRLR or RLRL.  These locks actually have two combinations, depending on which direction you dial the lock.

Dialing sequence would be:
4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right to the last number - stop and turn handle.

Or you can dial it RLRL vs the LRLR sequence - it does not make a difference, as long as you are using the correct numbers for the dialing sequence you are using.

I have no idea what you are talking about, when you mention "lockout zone", there is no such thing.   If you are referring to a "forbidden zone", #1 it has nothing to do with this lock, and #2 it has nothing to do with unlocking the lock.  The forbidden zone refers to numbers which cannot be set on the third wheel of a lever type lock.  Because of the wheel action required when trying to extend the lock bolt, a scissoring action is created, trapping the fence of the lever assembly, effectively jamming the lock in the "unlocked" condition.   The lever must be manually lifted out of the wheel pack to continue.   Straight tail piece locks are NOT subjected to this action.

As the drive wheel has 9 false gates and a real gate, you will have to determine which is the real gate.   Depending on how the drive wheel is splined, Cary used a number of random locations.   If it was the same location on every drive wheel, having the false gates wouldn't make much sense.

Hope this answers your questions.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)