Antique Safes/Diebold safe antique logo decal

Safe Exterior
Safe Exterior  

Front door back plate
Front door back plate  
I am restoring an antique Diebold safe.  I am not sure of the age but think it is a turn of the century aged safe sold to S H Kress & Company.  It is a double door safe with a large vault and a smaller interior safe and vault as well.  The outer door is filled with concrete and has a back plate with 2 gold pin stripes along the edge and a Diebold logo in the center.  The interior door to the large vault is a steel plate with hinges and has 2 gold pin stripe lines around the edges and had a key lock securing the interior.  I am wondering if there is a Diebold sticker like logo available for replacing the intricately painted logo or whether it will have to be repainted by hand.

The safe probably isn't as old as you believe - it is probably more likely from the 1920's to early 30's.   S. H. Kress & Company was THE name in "five & dime" stores throughout the country in hundreds of cities from around 1896 until they closed in 1980.   No doubt that this safe was probably owned by one of their outlet stores during the 20's or 30's.   This was NOT a money safe, and was probably used to secure documents or records.

NOTE:   a "VAULT" is a walk-in storage room, a safe is not a vault.   Also, having inner and outer doors does NOT make it a "double door" safe.   In general most safes manufactured during the late 1800's and through the mid 1900's all had the interior "DAY" door.   The outer door would be opened in the morning and then the clerk only had to use a key on the inner door throughout the day.   The outer door would again be locked at night giving the most protection.

This safe is basically a "FIRE" resistive safe, meant for protecting papers and documents from fire and heat.   This is NOT a burglary resistive safe.

There is no "old safe" after market, for parts or items like decals - The market is simply too small.   If you want a decal to place on your safe during restoration, you will have to have one made.   There are numerous "graphics art" companies around advertising as fast signs, etc. that can probably make one for you.   If your decal is too damaged to use, I may have a better photo that you can use.   Your other option would be to have it hand painted onto the safe.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada