Antique Safes/enheriated safe

Safe Dimensions
Safe Dimensions  

Here are some pictures of the safe and dimensions.  I want to know something about it and if it is worth keeping.  The picture of the inside working on the door has a white residue.  Don't know what it is.  Looks powdery, almost like wallboard material.

Jim, selling it isn't likely to bring much so you may be better off to keep it.  Do you have anything at home you would like to protect from fire and/or burglary.  The money you would get for it wouldn't buy anything close to that size.  The powder may well be gypsum or may contain asbestos. Personally I don't worry about the dust too much myself but you can have it checked out if it concerns you.  Apparently there are test kits available.  Usually the dust comes out at the bottom of the door which could be sealed with silicone.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place