Antique Safes/Can you give me any information about the safe I own?

Question
Safe 1
Safe 1  

Safe 2
Safe 2  
I recently came into possession of a safe. It's made by the Empire Safe Co. Birmingham. I haven't been able to find any information on it so any information is helpful. For example: Age, Model, Value, etc. Thanks

Answer
David,

Unfortunately English safes is not my specialty, I would recommend your checking with Tom Gordon or Mike Palmer - two other experts on this site who are both in England and experts on English safes.

What I can tell you is some basic info.    There were four basic cities in England during the late 1800's and early 1900's that manufactured the majority of the safes coming out of England.   Unfortunately, the several dozen manufacturers in Birmingham (as well as other manufacturers in England), basically copied the "heck" out of each other.   With the exception of the name plaque, handles, locks and key hole covers, most of the safes were virtually identical.

This adversely affects the values of the safes as one is basically the same as the next, etc. etc. etc.    In fact collecting the name plaques is bigger in England than the safes.

Generally throughout the UK these safes are going for around 150 to 200 British pounds (about $240 to $320 US dollars).   In the US these same safes can go for $600 to $800, however, like anything else quality and condition affects the value.

Sorry, but I have no information on age or model of this safe.   This container is basically a standard, personal, fire resistive safe (though it does not meet ANY current standards for fire or burglar resistance).  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)