Antique Safes/HHM Safe

Question
Safe
Safe  

Dial
Dial  
Good afternoon!
I've got an old(?) safe that was given to me with no combination. We are certain its empty but we'd like to get it open and maybe use it. The only markings are on the dial, HHM Safe Co, Hamilton O.
I've debated building a rig to brute force the lock and try every combination, but if there's an easier way, I'd be happy to do that too.
I've seen some pictures of the inside of a similar looking safe over at http://mikesoldsafe.blogspot.com/2009/08/locking-mechanism.html
Any idea if its the same variety or same lock?
I appreciate any advice you have to offer!
Thanks,
Evan

Answer
Evan,

Your Herring-Hall-Marvin safe was probably manufactured in the late 1940's.

You basically have two options - you can either try all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations which your lock has available, or you can have a safe technician from a local safe company open it for you.

While the safe is not designed as a "burglary resistive" safe, you aren't going to be able to force it open without destroying the safe.

The lock is probably a Yale, pin change type lock (similar to the one you indicated), and the dialing sequence should be:

4 times right to the first number,
3 times left to the second number,
2 times right to the third number,
1 time left until the dial stops (around 10)

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn clockwise (right), stopping the fourth time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.

I would recommend that you contact a safe technician from a local safe company to have the safe opened.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)