Antique Safes/Identity of an upright safe

8 compartment safe
8 compartment safe  

My cousin has a safe that he would like to know any information about.  It probably will not fit into an antique catagory but I feel you are someone that may be able to identify it for him.    It has 8 compartments all 8"x7" high-22" deep, with Sargent & Greenleaf locks on the doors.  It has handles and 2 staionary casters and 2 swivel casters with 1 lockdown. It is 19 1/2" wide, 37" high, and 22 1/2" deep. I am enclosing a few pictures of it.  Please try to give him any information on it. Only 2 images allowed, I have one of the back of the lock with Group 2 NO. 453945 tag. It is just a hobby to him, a collector of locks and things.  
Thankyou so very much for your time.  JK

This isn't actually a "safe", it is simply an interior cabinet with multiple compartments.   Businesses like banks, etc. have units like this built where they may have multiple employees who need to secure items like cash, weapons, narcotics, etc., available for use, but under lock, so that only the person assigned to that compartment can open it.   These containers are usually inside of an actual safe.   The fact that it is on castors would indicate that someone has possibly modified it for another purpose.  Containers with castors aren't generally "SAFE" if they can simply be rolled away.

As far as the locks, these are simply standard, group 2, locks.   These locks aren't the high security locks, but do offer the standard 1,000,000 possible combinations.

While this container does make an interesting storage cabinet for someone, it offers no real security, and has no value as far as fire or burglary resistance.

What other questions do you have???

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada