Antique Safes/Milners Safe

Hi Mike,

We found a couple of Milners safes in our warehouse that our owners farther brought over from England around 1974. We are thinking about restoring one of them as a surprise for our onwner since next year will be our 40th anniversary. Can you tell me anything about these safes? I would like to restore the safe to the original condition if possibe. Are these valuable safes? This number is on one of the door hinges 2920 AB 12 83and the safe is 4'x3'.

THank you
Jimmy Fleming

Hello Jimmy,

I am sure I could tell you quite a lot about your safes but I will need to more than this shot of the inside. If you could send me pictures of both safes, I will comment on them both and you can decide which to refurbish.  I would need two pictures of each safe; one with the door shut showing the entire front of the safe, and one with the door open showing the door thickness and the bolt-work.  If you have problems sending them through this website, send them directly to

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mikce Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others